We provide individual academic accommodations for students with permanent or temporary disabilities, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Commission’s Policy on accessible education for students with disabilities and the York University Senate policy on Academic Accommodation for Students with Disabilities.
We use the term “disability” to be consistent with the language in these policies. We cannot provide accommodations for reasons unrelated to disability.
How we use your information
We collect medical documentation and other information about your functional limitations, learning history or personal circumstances to:
- verify your need for accommodations for academic work and
- plan and develop the right accommodations for you.
Here are some examples of how we might share your information:
- We share your exam or test accommodations with Alternate Exam/Test Scheduling staff for invigilation.
- We may share your name if you have a reduced course load as an accommodation so that your fees can be adjusted or a bursary can be arranged.
- Accessibility Counsellors may speak to a professor, the Registrar or residence staff to set up accommodations.
- We share information when a student needs support from other experts, such as at Student Counselling, Health & Well-being, the Students of Concern Committee, the Office of Student Community Relations or Residence Life.
We respect your privacy and keep your information confidential. We only share your information on a need-to-know basis and per York and government guidelines and policies to allow University employees to perform their duties and offer you accommodations.
To protect your information, York employees follow University policies and guidelines, the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (FIPPA) and all other legal requirements.
Questions? Email us.
We love hearing from you!
Our office is closed on statutory holidays and all other times when York is not open. We do not monitor emails outside our office hours.
*We're also closed at 3 p.m. on Fridays from Victoria Day weekend in May until the start of classes in September.