We offer Single Session Walk-in Counselling as well as Short Term Counselling as an in-person service. Your first step will be to attend a single session, where you will work with your counsellor to decide if continuing to short term counselling is appropriate/suitable.
We also offer Single Session Walk-in Counselling as well as Short Term Counselling virtually, online. The steps are similar to in-person counselling: your will begin by attending a single session, where you will work with your counsellor to decide if continuing to short term counselling is appropriate/suitable.
Facilitated by trained counsellors, our SCHW support groups offer safer spaces for you to express yourself and share experiences alongside fellow students at York. During these virtual sessions, you can feel free to participate as much as as little as you prefer. There are several benefits to attending these meetings, including:
- Learning that you are not alone in feeling a certain way;
- Increasing your awareness of proactive behaviours and coping strategies from interacting with others who may have similar concerns;
- Practicing and improving your interpersonal skills;
- Taking emotional risks with others that can prepare you to take similar risks outside of the group;
- Developing a feeling of cohesion, trust, and mutual support with fellow group members; and
- Making friends with other students on campus
If you're interested in attending or simply want to learn more, please visit our Groups page for more information.
Unsure about joining a support group?
That's okay. Individual counselling may be the way to go. During your appointment, feel free to ask your counsellor for recommendations and/or details regarding the group options we currently offer. If you're interested in connecting with other students in a different setting, feel free to email us at email@example.com for some advice, or browse through other student clubs and organizations at YorkU.